Brushing and Flossing
Braces will change your life in the long term. In the short term, they will complicate it. Don’t worry—it isn’t too difficult and we promise you that the results are worth it. One of the complications is brushing and flossing. Here is what you need to know.
How to Brush Your Teeth While Wearing Braces
- Set aside two minutes after every meal for brushing your teeth
- Get a brush with soft bristles and a small head
- Use fluoride toothpaste.
- On the outside and inside tooth surfaces, use gentle, small, circular motions, keeping the head of the brush at a 45-degree angle to the gumline
- For chewing surfaces, use gentle back-and-forth strokes
How to Floss Your Teeth While Wearing Braces
- Set aside a few minutes to floss after every meal
- Use a floss threader to get behind the wire
- Gently run the floss between all teeth using back and forth motions
- Be sure to get beneath the gumline as well
- If floss is too complicated, look into a water flosser